The Cat magazine - our history
In January 1931 the then Cats Protection League launched their own magazine, The Cats’ Mews-sheet. It was A5 in size and just four pages long.
In 1934 it was decided to change the name to The Cat magazine and it doubled in size. It has gone from a modest black-and-white newsletter covering the work of just a handful of clubs to a full-colour coffee-table magazine highlighting the work done by over 250 branches and 32 centres today.
The charity has gone from strength to strength; survived the trials of war, embraced the technological advances in cat welfare, seen general attitudes towards our feline friends improve… and The Cat magazine has been witness to it all.
Below are some examples of the magazine from each decade. There have been many challenges since 1927 and there can be no doubt that the passion and the energy of our volunteers and staff have not diminished through the years.