Mind the cats
06 September 2017
Parliamentarians returning to work this week will get a surprise on the Westminster underground where they’ll be greeted with giant posters of cats.
The UK’s leading feline welfare charity Cats Protection is hoping to raise awareness of welfare issues with a targeted advertising campaign to improve engagement with political decision makers.
The campaign features a giant poster at the special parliamentarian exit of Westminster underground station, alongside photos of cats at ticket barriers and up and down escalators with the strapline ‘Speaking up for Cats’ and the message ‘Every three minutes we help another cat’.
“While cats might seem less important than mainstream issues, they are part of society and part of many families’ lives,” said Jacqui Cuff, Cats Protection’s Advocacy Manager. “They need our protection as they are often the victims of horrendous crimes which include being shot, poisoned, caught in snares, abandoned or attacked by dogs. Politicians from all parties can improve cat welfare immeasurably by backing our campaigns.”
The charity’s 2022 Agenda for Cats
sets out what it would like Parliament to achieve by the next election. This includes:
- Enhanced border checks for cats entering the UK
- Air gun licensing to be introduced in England and Wales
- Microchipping of owned cats to be compulsory across the UK
- Strengthened legislation to prevent dog attacks on cats
- Regulation of commercial cat breeding
- Animal welfare education to be included in the national curriculum
- Ends -
For further information, an interview or images of the campaign, please contact Cats Protection’s Media Office on 01825 741 911, at email@example.com, or @CPMediaTeam on Twitter.
Notes to Editors:
- Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and helps over 190,000 cats each year through a national network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 centres.
- Cats Protection’s vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs.
- Cats Protection’s registered charity number is 203644 (England and Wales) and SC037711 (Scotland). Founded as the Cats Protection League in 1927, the charity adopted the name Cats Protection in 1998. We ask that you use the name Cats Protection when referring to the charity in all published material.
- More information about the work of Cats Protection can be found at www.cats.org.uk