If your cat goes missing
This page is for lost cats in the Cambridge, UK area. If you are in another area please check your postcode at http://www.cats.org.uk/find-us
If you want to add a cat to our lost list, please email full details with photo to email@example.com - or call 07889 976463 if you dont have email access - and we will add it for you.
Summary of tips if you have LOST a cat:
- Contact all the local vets, rescue centres and if your cat is microchipped call the microchip company.
- Make up a leaflet about your cat to post in your neighbourhood.
- Check our Found Cat list at http://cambridge.cats.org.uk/cambridge/lost-and-found and also www.animalsearchuk.co.uk
- Keep calling him, even if he doesn't answer to his name he will recognise your voice, gradually increase your area of search.
- Above all, never give up. We hear of cats turning up after amazing lengths of time. When he returns, if he's been missing for several days,it is a good idea to keep him in for a few days until he re-establishes himself.
Information added June 2021: RSPCA have published guidance to avoid fraud which has sadly occurred with a few owners of missing pets, which we share with our followers in case it is helpful: https://www.rspca.org.uk/-/news-warning-of-missing-pet-scam
Full advice if you've lost a cat:
1) List of vets.
If your cat is chipped and the details on the database are up to date, you should be contacted by them if your cat is handed in.
List of Rescue Centres.
- Cambridge Veterinary Group, Cherry Hinton Road. 01223 249331
- Vets4Pets, Barnwell Road. 01223 243535
- Vets4Pets, Beehive (inside Pets at Home) 01223 656965
- Cambridge Cat Clinic, Cox's Drove, Fulbourn 01223 880707
- Arbury Road Veterinary Surgery 01223 361911
- Clarendon Street Veterinary Surgery. 01223 359021
- Medivet Impington. 01223 232111
- Village Vet Milton. 01223 426600
- Belgrave House Veterinary Surgery, Linton 01223 893720
- Village Vet Whittlesford. 01223 833651
- Ash Croft Veterinary Surgery, Hardwick. 01954 210250
- Village Vet Cottenham. 01954 252122
- Village Vet Longstanton. 01954 780027
If your cat is chipped and the details on the database are up to date, you should be contacted by a resouce centre if your cat is handed into them.
If your cat is microchipped contact the microchip company to advise they are lost.
Check your paperwork to find out which one you are logged with. Use their online service or call them to register your cat as lost.:
2) Make up a leaflet about your cat.
- A photograph if possible
- Colour/length of fur
- Male or Female
- Whether the cat is neutered
- Wearing a collar, give description
- Any distinguishing features
- Where the cat went missing and when.
Post the leaflets through every door in your immediate area, think from a cat's perspective not just following road layouts. Display at the Vets, Post Office, Library, local shops etc. It is also useful to tape leaflets to telegraph poles and lamp posts and also your own front gate.Also you may like to try contacting
- For Cambridge City: Contact the local Environmental Health department in case they have found any cats sadly killed in a road traffic accident. Cambridge City Council 01223 458282 (Ask for Street Cleansing.)
Keep calling him, even if he doesn't answer to his name he will recognise your voice, gradually increase your area of search. Above all, never give up.
We hear of cats turning up after amazing lengths of time. When he returns, if he's been missing for several days,it is a good idea to keep him in for a few days until he re-establishes himself.
(Phone numbers & links last checked: 05/09/2021)