• You are here:
  • Home

Recognise the symptoms of poisoning

09 December 2014
There are a number of everyday household items that can be poisonous to cats, so as they are inquisitive animals it's important to keep them out of their reach.

The symptoms of poisoning can vary, but the most common signs are:
  • Vomiting
  • Appearing ‘drunk’/uncoordinated
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Fitting

What to do if you think your cat has been poisoned:
  • Do not panic
  • Seek veterinary advice immediately – even if your cat appears well, as delaying for just a few minutes may endanger their life
  • Do not try to make your cat vomit or feed them salt water, without veterinary advice
  • Take any samples or packaging of the suspected poison with you to show the vet
  • Keep other pets away from the toxic source

Prevention is better than a visit to the vets so keep poisonous substances out of cats’ reach as anything that gets on your cat’s feet or fur is likely to be ingested when they are grooming. Potentially toxic items should ideally stored in a sealed container or closed cupboard or shed.

This list and advice is not exhaustive. For further advice please consult your vet; and to find out more about keeping your cat safe read our leaflet.

Most importantly, if you suspect your cat has ingested poison, take them to a vet immediately.

Infographic credit http://www.cats.org.uk.

Cat poisoning symptoms infographic