• You are here:
  • Home

Cats involved in road accidents

28 October 2019
Cats involved in road accidents
If you happen to injure a cat in a road traffic accident or see a cat injured, in extreme distress or collapsed as a result of being involved in one, you should, wherever possible, take it straight to a vet. Every vet, be they in a private practice or charity clinic is obliged by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to treat any animal in an emergency. They are required to give first aid and pain relief. 
You will not be charged as the vet has a duty of care to stabilise the animal and try to find its owner via the RSPCA, Cats Protection etc. The RSPCA centrally funds this scheme to provide initial emergency treatment of stray and un-owned animals and the vet will call them straight away to get a log number.
Alternatively, members of the public can phone the RSPCA central helpline on 0300 123 4555 and ask if an inspector can pick the cat up. They are very busy and limited in numbers so this is often not possible straight away but it’s worth a try. If they can’t pick the cat up, they will be able to supply a log number so the person can take the cat to a local vet and inform them that the RSPCA will pay for the emergency treatment. 
If you would like any further information on this agreement between RSPCA and the BVA (British Veterinary Association), please contact Cat-line on 01332 206956 or email enquiries@derbybranch.cats.org.uk.org.uk.This agreement covers England and Wales only.