Our nature trail is ideal for families, school children and nature lovers. Why not take a walk on the wild side and learn all about the natural environment?
On route there are interpretation boards featuring fascinating facts about the natural world, making the trail both a fun and educational experience. Meet the unique flock of Hebridean sheep that graze the forest and see if you can find our fairy circle and our new Enchanted Village!
The trail starts outside the administration building and covers approximately 2km. We estimate it will take between 1 – 2 hours to complete at a leisurely pace.
Pick up a nature trail map from the Visitor Centre, or download it by clicking here
Why not enhance your nature experience by picking up a family activity pack? Suitable for all ages! Please ask at Reception or in the shop for more details.
Follow these simple guidelines to ensure your visit is a pleasant and safe experience:
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times and should be supervised, especially near the pond
- This site contains the natural flora, fauna and wildlife that is common in the area, including potentially hazardous creatures such as adders
- The ground level is uneven in places, so please tread carefully
- There are no surfaced paths, so unfortunately the trail is not suitable for those in wheelchairs (the rest of the site is completely accessible)
- Parts of the trail get very muddy after rainfall, so it is advisable to wear walking boots or wellingtons
- Please protect plants and animals and take your litter home
- No smoking, barbeques or fires allowed
Well behaved dogs are welcome on our Naure Trail and in the Ashdown Forest. We ask however, that the following guidelines are followed:
Please remember the '4Cs'
- CONTROL- Always ensure that your dog is in sight and comes back when called. If you are not totally confident of your dog's recall, please use a lead.
- CARE - For farm animals and wildlife. Never let your dog approach or chase livestock or wildlife.
- CONSIDER OTHERS - Never let your pet approach other people, dogs or horses uninvited.
- CLEAN UP - Always remove dog waste from pathways.