Donate Sponsor

Join us for a once-in-a-lifetime trekking challenge in Indonesia

Experience the incredible sights and sounds of Sumatra on our brand-new international adventure! Join Team Cats and take on a challenging trek while raising vital funds to help cats and kittens here in the UK.

What is the Sumatra Jungle Trek & Tiger Conservation Project?
On this 10-day trip you’ll climb up into the hills in the Gunung Leuser National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site, then journey into dense rainforest as the trek takes you off the beaten track.

You’ll have the chance to spot wildlife at every turn and search for signs of the critically endangered Sumatran tiger, before having a talk from a local tiger conservationist to learn about anti-poaching efforts in the region.

Take a look at the full itinerary to find out more about the challenge and what else you might discover on this extraordinary trip.

You can reserve your place now for free and get set to make incredible memories while making a real difference to the cats and kittens that need our help.

Sign up to event

How much money do I need to raise?
By taking part in this life-changing challenge and raising vital funds for Cats Protection, you’ll be changing the lives of many of the cats and kittens in our care.

On sign-up there is a registration fee of £330, which may be paid in up to three instalments and there are two sponsorship options to choose from:

  • Full fundraising - fundraising the full commitment of £3,500. 80% of this figure (£2,800) to be raised by Friday 12 August 2023 (12 weeks before departure) and the remaining 20% (£700) by 4 February 2024.
  • Mixed fundraising- paying half of the trip costs (approx. £875) 12 weeks before departure (Friday 12 August 2023) and fundraising a reduced commitment of £1,750. 80% of this figure (£1,400) to be raised by Friday 12 August 2023 (12 weeks before departure) and the remaining 20% (£350) by 4 February 2024.

We do have a self-funding option available as well. If you would like to find out more about this, please contact Evie at events@cats.org.uk or call 01825 741 960.

What support will I receive?
We understand the fundraising commitment can seem daunting at first, but we’ll be with you every step of the way to help you achieve and even exceed this amount.

You'll get a Cats Protection technical t-shirt to train and trek in, plus ideas, resources and support to help you fundraise. You can also join our Facebook group to connect with other cat-loving adventurers!

How do I reserve a place or sign up?
Reserve my place – this saves you a spot until you are ready to pay the first instalment of your registration fee.

Sign up now - this is the official booking link where you will be asked to pay the first instalment of your registration fee.

If you are paying the registration fee in instalments, please select 'bank transfer' or 'cheque' as your payment method, then email accounts@different-travel.com to discuss your payment plan.

I’ve got a question – how can I get in touch?
If you’ve got any queries or concerns about the challenge or the fundraising commitment, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Evie at events@cats.org.uk or by calling 01825 741 960.

Read the latest Covid-19 travel information on Different Travel website.

01825 741 960 Need help?

Sign up to event

Supporting documents

Itinerary

You can download the full itinerary here.

“When I signed up for the Zambezi challenge, I don’t think I realised just how gruelling it would be…but I also didn’t realise quite how much wildlife we’d see, how well we’d connect as a group and how much we’d all learn!”

Amy Rutter, Zambia participant

FAQs

What is the experience like?

How tough is it?
This tour is classified as ‘challenging’ for someone already at a good general level of fitness, due to
the hot, wet and humid climate, carrying your own backpack each day (your backpack could weigh
6-7kg), the hilly, uneven and rough jungle terrain and basic accommodation and bathroom facilities.
How fit do I need to be?

You must arrive in Sumatra fit and prepared for this challenge. You should start training at least 6
months before departure to ensure the best chance of success and enjoyment on the challenge.
Hill walking while carrying a heavy backpack should form a major part of your training as this will
most closely replicate the actual trek and is the best way to prepare your body for the numerous
ascents and descents involved.

Increasing your cardiovascular endurance, core strength and leg strength will also benefit you
greatly so resistance workouts should be added to your training regime in addition to plenty of hill
walking. You can download a number of free apps which will help you train and track your progress.
E.g. MapMyWalk, couch to 5k, MyFitnessPal etc. If you attempt to complete the challenge without
training it will make the trek unnecessarily difficult and may be detrimental to your experience, and
the experience of your team mates.

What is the climate like?
The climate in Sumatra is hot, humid and wet all year round. It cannot be stressed enough that the
distinction between ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ seasons is not marked, and while weather patterns and rainfall is
unpredictable it will generally be hot and wet for most of the trip. October is the wettest month, but
November historically sees approx. 136.7mm rainfall per day and you are likely to experience short
sharp showers throughout the day, often in the middle of the afternoon. Temperatures historically
reach up to 30°C during the day and drop to around 23°C at night although it may feel cooler at
higher altitudes. The humidity is high, usually at least 83% every day.
Please note: the temperatures and conditions given here are historically accurate but climate
change can impact the seasons so you may experience uncharacteristic conditions during the trip
which are out of our control. Should this happen the guide will assess the situation and make
decisions to ensure the best enjoyment and ultimately safety of the group as a whole.

What is the terrain like?
The terrain varies greatly on this trek, from overgrown jungle paths to good open tracks and smaller
paths. You can expect uneven and often slippery ground underfoot. There will be a number of steep
ascents and long descents so you must arrive in Sumatra fit and prepared. You must be prepared to
climb over overgrown vegetation, tree roots and other jungle obstacles. The paths can be muddy
and slippery after rain. This trek is not easy.

Where will we sleep?
During the trek you will spend each night camping in jungle clearings set up as temporary camps. In
the jungle camps you will sleep in tents (two sharing a three-man tent). You need to bring a
lightweight sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner (cotton or silk) and a mosquito net.

What about bathroom facilities?
There are no showers so you should bring a pack of baby wipes for general hygiene. It may be
possible to bathe in some of the streams near camp; if you do this you must use natural, biodegradable products which will not contaminate the water (products from Lush.co.uk are great for
this).

Basic toilets are available at camp, as is cold running water for washing. If you need to use the toilet
during the trek day you must inform the guides you are stopping and find a private area off the trail.
You must never leave used toilet paper on the ground; this must be packed up into a nappy bag or
sanitary disposal bag and carried to camp.

What is the food like?
Sumatran food is traditionally very spicy with lots of chilli, lemon grass, ginger, garlic and coriander.
The spiciest food tends to be from Padang in West Sumatra.
Meals are cooked by your trek team and will comprise of various simple local dishes served with
rice or noodles. Plates, mugs, cutlery and other equipment are provided for you and dietary
requirements can be catered for if we are notified in advance.

Practical information

Who accompanies us?
You will be accompanied by first aid trained English-speaking guides who have an excellent
knowledge of hiking, culture and nature in the region. You will also be accompanied by a team of
local support staff, a Different Travel Company UK tour manager and Cats Protection
representative.

Who can take part?
The trek can be undertaken by anyone with a good level of fitness, who is healthy and determined.
Adequate preparation, planning and training is important because the fitter you are the more you will
enjoy this experience. An ideal candidate would be a hill walker, an open-minded person with a
sense of adventure or someone who would like to take part in a life-changing fundraising
experience in the beautiful landscape.

Is there an age limit?
You must be at least 18 years old to participate on this trek unaccompanied. It may be possible for
you to participate if you are 16 or 17 years old, but you must be accompanied by a parent or
guardian. There is no upper age limit.

Click here to download the FAQs.

Click here to download Gift Aid FAQs 

Other Events

Find a Cat
Donate
About us