Cat fostering with Swale Branch
Have you ever thought what it would be like to foster cats for Cats Protection?
Click here for a short video to answer your questions on fostering with CP
Here we have a descripton of what is required from someone that wants to become a fosterer for Cats Protection, we have both indoor and outdoor fosterers. To become an indoor fosterer you need a spare room dedicated for use by the cats you are fostering. For outdoor fosterers we would provide a cabin in your garden, as you can imagine, this is expensive, to install a double cabin would cost in the region of £5,000, so we need to be sure you are committed.
'It's not an easy job but it's very rewarding when you see cats that you have looked after for weeks going to their new home'
'It's great when we get photos and emails from people that have adopted cats that we have fostered, the cats always look so content in their new homes'
‘As a Fosterer I derive a great deal of pleasure in knowing that what I do makes a huge difference to the present and future welfare of the cats and kittens that come into my care, and seeing them go to lovely new homes is one of the greatest rewards of all.’ Mary Wood, Cheltenham Branch.
How you will make a difference to cats and people:
Cats Protection helps thousands of cats across the UK each year thanks to our network of dedicated volunteers. As a fosterer you will be directly helping cats and kittens in need; providing them with hands on care and working with others to rehome them, ultimately, providing them with a second chance of a happy and healthy life.
How volunteering for Cats Protection can make a big difference to you:
- You will get a lot of personal satisfaction and enjoyment from your volunteering role
- You will have the opportunity to make a real difference to cats and kittens in your community and across the UK
- You will be able to develop new skills, expand your knowledge and use your existing expertise
- You will meet new people, make new friendships and work as part of a dedicated team
- You will become a key member in the UK’s largest feline charity
What the role involves
- This key role ensures the needs of each cat being cared for are met appropriately, upholding minimum veterinary and cat care standards in accordance with Cats Protection’s policies and procedures
- Providing temporary care and accommodation to stray, abandoned or injured cats in purpose built cat pen in your garden/outside space or in an adapted space room in your home
- Cleaning of the cats environment and equipment, feeding and grooming
- Spending time enriching the cats experience in care, including, play, exercise, stroking and allowing quiet and relaxation periods
- Administering of medication such as flea and worm treatments
- Working and communicating effectively with others including volunteers, vets, potential new owners and Cats Protection staff
Skills and experience which are expected and/or can be developed in this role:
- Basic knowledge of cats and cat care
- An appreciation of cat care and hygiene standards
- Patience and perseverance
- Level headed and practical
- Ability to work well in a team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good observational skills
- Good level of record keeping/administration skills
- Committed to working with others to find homes for cats in your care
This is a flexible role and can be shared with other volunteers. The role is home based, but does need to be within the local area of the recruiting group. Time expectation for this role will vary across our volunteer groups, your local contact will be able to provide more information.
How we will support you:
You will receive full training and support in your role. Your contact for this role will provide you with day to day support, guidance and direction and your staff contact will work with others to ensure you have a positive and enjoyable volunteering experience. We also have Volunteering, Veterinary and Branch Support teams who can provide you with guidance and information.
More on fostering
If you would like more information click here and complete