Adopt a cat
SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE CATS AVAILABLE NOW!
At the Cats Protection, we follow a policy of matching cats in our care to prospective adopters to ensure that they are placed in an environment which is suitable to their needs.
For this reason we cannot always guarantee that cats can be selected on a sight-only basis. We try to make this process as straightforward as possible, and our friendly staff are always on hand to provide assistance with this.
Our Adoption process is as follows:
- We will complete a 'Homefinder Questionnaire' with you which will include a number of non-invasive questions to ascertain details such as your home location, any other pets in the household and if you have any specific requirements in selecting a cat (for example age, gender etc).
- We will attempt to match you to any cats who are ready for homing, based on your questionnaire answers. If we cannot do this straight away we will endeavour to contact you as soon as a suitable cat becomes available.
- During Centre opening times you will be welcome to view our cat homing pens to see if any of our cats stand out as being suitable. If staff are available we will attempt to guide you through this based on the type of cat you have suggested in your questionnaire. Otherwise we will provide as much information as possible on the front of each pen to aid you in making a decision. Once a cat has been matched to you, a further option is to arrange an appointment to come and meet the cat in our Meet & Greet room, designed to allow a safe environment where you can gauge the cat's personality and temperament. This is usually the last stage in assessing a cat's suitability.
- When an adoption has been agreed, we will take you through the final paperwork, including offering 4 weeks free Petplan insurance and giving proof of microchipping and vaccinations.
- An adoption fee will be payable to the centre, which will cover some of the costs incurred to the centre in preparing your cat for rehoming (we estimate each cat to run up costs of £130 as a minumum whilst in care for a short time). Our adoption fee is £70.00 for an adult cat and £80.00 for a kitten.
- We will now arrange for you to collect your new family member! We will also offer follow up contact if appropriate to see how your cat is getting on in the first few weeks, and can give further advice where integration into the household is proving challenging.
Kittens - We get a lot of requests for kittens, however do not actively promote them on our site as we are often inundated with requests, and suitability checks are required. If you are interested in adopting a kitten please contact us on 0191 653 1052 or click the image to fill out our contact form. Alternatively if none are available at our centre we can provide you with details of our local branch volunteers.
Some of the cats in our care may not yet be on our website. If you are looking for a feline companion, please contact us on 0191 653 1052