Cool for Cats - how to keep your cats cool in the current hot weather!
24 July 2019
With temperatures looking to remain extremely high for the next few days, here is some advice to keep your cats cool during this current heat wave.
- Provide plenty of shaded areas for your cat, both inside and out. Think shrubs, cat hides and boxes!
- Place fans around the house to keep the air circulating. Don't point the fans directly at your cat though.
- Freeze a bottle of water and wrap it in a towel or pillowcase. Place it in an area your cat frequents - ensure
your cat can get away from the bottle if they choose and make sure the bottle doesn't leak!
- Place water bowls away from food bowls
- Avoid plastic bowls - use glass, ceramic or metal instead
- Use a large bowl with a big surface area
- Keep the water topped up at all times (so your cat doesn't have to put their head "in" the bowl)
- Try offering a water fountain. Many cats prefer running water
- Offer water bowls in different places around the house
Did you know that cats can get skin cancer through sun exposure? Particularly white cats. Its a good idea to protect your cat from the sun's harmful rays. If your cat has white fur, try to keep your cat indoors between 10am and 3pm when the sun is hottest and speak to your vet about suitable sunblock for cats.
And remember, if you are at all concerned about your cats health in the heat, then please contact your vet!