The Cooper Capture Diary

The Cooper Capture Diary

Middle February 2011
Discovered stray cat living in one of our garden sheds.
Phoned well known animal rescue service (first of the many calls that were made to get some help for the cat.  For advice I told them that the cat had an eye injury and a leg injury.  I was advised that we should keep feeding it to gain its trust, then to try and trap it so we could get it to the RSPCA).

Fast forward to May 2011

Over fifteen phone calls and emails to the rescue service asking for assistance to capture the cat as its physical state had worsened and he looked in a really sorry state; a fact that I pointed out to each operator, and they were aware that the cat was in a bad way.  We had tried to catch it; however, as ill as it was, the cat was very wily and always evaded our plans to help it.

We had been feeding the cat twice a day since February.  Our own three cats were reacting very badly to the visitor in the garden

Thurs 12th May

My husband spotted the cat with its eyes oozing pus and blood.  He tried to pick it up but the cat scratched him and escaped.  I phoned the rescue service yet again and begged them to help us.  They sent two officers during the afternoon, without any equipment with which to trap the cat, except for an old duvet cover.  In the event they could not find the cat and, after a few minutes, left with instructions for us to call them if the cat appeared.

Two hours after they had left the cat showed up in the garden!  I phoned the rescue service again. They said that they would ensure that the officer was informed.  I rang and rang  throughout the afternoon and that evening; the calls were not picked up until 11.20 in the evening when I spoke to the operator and begged him to help, telling him that I was absolutely traumatized by these events.

Friday 13th May
The next day an officer returned.  The cat was at the bottom of the garden.  The officer made one attempt to get the cat, which failed, then she left.

Throughout  out this three-month episode I was told repeatedly  by the rescue service that a trap could not be provided to catch the cat, as none were available as many of their stock  had been stolen for scrap metal, and that any they had left were all in use; very busy time of year apparently.

I was also told on several occasions that as soon as a trap became available an officer would bring one; however this did not happen.

A friend suggested contacting Cats Protection.  I had assumed, wrongly, that this charity dealt solely with rehoming; how wrong can you be?  Which is why I had not contacted them throughout this sorry period.

As soon as we called Cats Protection, Glenn (the welfare officer for the Welwyn Hatfield District branch) was on the case!  He attended without delay, gave us advice and, most importantly, left a trap cage with us.

Saturday 14th May
The cat was finally caught this evening, three months after our initial discovery.  Glenn came to take him to a vet; he was in a very bad way.  I thought that the cat had no chance of survival, but with Glenn and Cats Protection looking after his interests, he is doing very well!

Thursday 16th June
Glenn brought Cooper to our house this evening to show us how well he is progressing.  He is the beautiful cat that I always knew lay behind the filthy, matted and tangled fur of our garden resident.

All I can say is a big thank you…

Here are some pictures of cooper on the mend....