Adopt a cat
We are pleased to announce that York Cats Protection Adoption Centre is now offering a Hands Free Homing process on an appointment based system. This means members of the public can visit the Centre to begin the process adopt a cat.
Unfortunately we are still not in a position to let members of the public go in to physically meet any cats, however we are able to let you see the cat you are hoping to adopt.
Please be aware that we will only be able to provide a limited number of appointments each day so we appreciate your patience whilst you may be waiting.
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19 we need to be careful to keep our staff, our cats and members of the public safe, our homing process will be as follows.
· Please contact the Centre through the Contact Us form. As well as completing all fields in the form please provide additional details in the comments box, including information about any other pets, children, working arrangements, the kind of cat you would like to adopt etc.
· We will then phone you and go through our Homefinder Questionnaire to help us match you with the most suitable cats we have in our care. We can share photos and possibly videos of these cats to help you decide which cat you think might be the one for you. Please be aware when you come to the Centre it will only be possible for you to visit one cat during each appointment.
· Once we have come up with a suitable cat candidate for you we will make an appointment with you to visit the Centre. Please be aware we will be unable to accommodate more than 2 people visiting during your appointment, and if you have children you will need to bring one of them with you to see the cat.
· Following hygiene and social distancing measures the staff at the Centre will introduce you to the cat we hope you will adopt. If you then think this is the cat for you we can reserve them for you and continue along your adoption journey. If you don’t feel this is the right cat for you that’s not a problem, you are more than welcome to view another one, but please note this will be during a different appointment.
· Once you have reserved at cat we need some time to prepare them for the next chapter in their new lives, and you will need some time to get your home ready for their arrival. Before you go we will go through everything you need to know about settling your cat into their new home, things like diet, litter tray arrangements, medical history, any particular feline behaviours they may display etc. We will then make an appointment for you to come and collect your cat within the next 7 days.
· Our Adoption Fee is currently £95. This fee also includes the supply of a new cat carrier. For hygiene reasons we are unable to rehome cats in preowned carriers.
· All meetings and transactions will take place following strict social distancing measures of at least 2 meters. Hand santiser is provided for your use on site and must be used on arrival. If you or anyone in your household is displaying any symptoms of COVID-19 we would respectfully ask that you do not make an appointment to visit the Centre until you are symptom free for 14 days.
Please see below for details about some of the cats in care our needing new homes.