A lot may have changed, but our dedication to cats never will.
Find out how we're safely providing services
Call us on:
0289 553 1368
Our work helping thousands of cats each year depends solely on your donations
Adopt a cat
What we do
Lost and Found
You are here:
Adopt a cat
Hands Free Homing
Hands Free Homing
Our adoption fee is a minimum of £75 per cat/kitten (pair adoptions may have a slightly reduced fee). Additional donations are always welcome and appreciated!
This fee includes:
Neutering / Spaying (or a £30 neutering voucher if too young - proof of neutering required)
Flea and Worm Treatment
At least one vaccination (we cover the cost of 2nd if our vets are used).
Cat Carrier (for Hands Free Rehoming) - this is for new owner to keep as we can't lend out carriers at this time.
FIV/FeLV Virus Testing
4 weeks free petplan insurance
This is excellent value for money - not to mention the ongoing heating, feeding, and veterinary treatment costs that we cover whilst a cat or kitten is in our care.
A guide to our new hands-free homing process
We’re keen to help as many cats as possible, both during the current crisis and beyond. Offering our cats a home will help to free up more space to take in emergency cases.
We have put in extensive procedures to make sure that our homing process is in line with current government guidance, without putting adoptees or our volunteers at risk.
Distance from Ballymena will not have an effect on your chances when applying for adoption - we are happy to travel for the perfect home (though we cannot home outside of Northern Ireland).
Here is our guide to adopting a cat using hands-free homing
· Enquire.If you’ve found a cat on our website that you’re interested in homing, send an enquiry through to
. If you are sending in a general enquiry, you do not have to specify a particular cat (please note we may not be accepting general applications for kittens during periods of high demand)
· If you’re found to be a match for your chosen cat/a cat in our care, you’ll be contacted via phone and email. You may be asked for further details, proof of your address, consent of your landlord (if you live in a rented property) and some more specific home information.
We'll discuss this adoption process in more detail first and if you are happy with the process, we'll arrange for you to speak to the fosterer so you’ll have a chance to discuss everything you need to know about your cat.
· Adopt. Once you have reserved your cat, you’ll be sent paperwork to sign and you’ll pay an adoption fee of £75 per cat (which includes a cat carrier/s for you to keep) by bank transfer.
· Bringing your cat home. Once this is finalised, we’ll arrange for a volunteer driver to bring your cat safely to your home. As part of our Hands Free Homing process, the cat carrier will be yours to keep and will be fully sanatised beforehand. The volunteer will be wearing PPE, and will leave the carrier at your door before withdrawing to a distance. You will be provided with full advice if you need it on how to settle your new cat/kitten in.
· Be supported. You’ll receive a follow-up call or email around 3, 7 and 21 days after the adoption to check that your new arrival is settled in. You will also recieve a neutering reminded if applicable when your new kitten is 4 months of age - neutering is a requirement as part of your adoption agreement, and we will need proof of neutering. You can also find help and advice on the Cats Protection website at
In line with our COVID-19 guidelines, cats/kittens will only be handled with full PPE for a minimum of 72 hours prior to homing.
Please note: if applicants do not respond to initial branch contact (without reason) or request for information within 24 hours, we may move on to another applicant. If contact has been made successfully and we have been asked to put a reservation in place for a cat/kitten, you have 48 hours to provide any final homecheck information/material requested to confirm your adoption - if you require further time to gather homecheck materials etc this is completely fine just let us know, we just need reassurance that you would like to continue the adoption process and that we are not maintaining a reservation unnecessarily. Please don't ghost us! If you change your mind at any point throughout the adoption process, please do just let us know, it really is no problem.