Adopt a cat
A guide to our new hands-free homing process
We’re keen to help as many cats as possible, both during the current crisis and beyond. Offering our cats a home will help to free up more space to take in emergency cases.
We have put in extensive procedures to make sure that our homing process is in line with current government guidance, without putting adoptees or our volunteers at risk.
Here is our guide to adopting a cat using hands-free homing
· Check you are within a reasonable distance of your chosen branch. You can find your nearest branch by typing in your postcode at www.cats.org.uk/find-us
· Enquire. If you’ve found a cat on our website that you’re interested in homing, send an enquiry ringing 07760 780759 or emailing email@example.com
· Reserve your cat. If you’re found to be a match for your chosen cat, you’ll be contacted via phone or email. You may be asked for proof of your address and the consent of your landlord (if you live in a rented property)
· Adopt. Once you have reserved your cat, you’ll be sent paperwork to sign and you’ll make a further telephone appointment with our team. In this call, you’ll have a chance to discuss everything you need to know about your cat. You’ll then pay an adoption fee of £70, usually by bank transfer
· Bringing your cat home. Once this is finalised, we’ll arrange for a driver to bring your cat safely to your home, your cat will be delivered in a secure carrier that is yours to keep.
· Be supported. You’ll receive a follow-up call or email around three, seven and 21 days after the adoption to check that your new arrival is settled in. You can also find help and advice on the Cats Protection website at www.cats.org.uk/advice
Before you adopt a cat you new addition will have had the following:
• vet checked
• had at least their first vaccination (against flu, enteritis and leukaemia)
• neutered (if old enough)
• treated for fleas and worms
• they will also come with 4 weeks free insurance from Petplan
We welcome enquiries via our website and social media. We will speak to you, by phone, to discuss your circumstances and the kind of cat that would fit with you. The process of ‘matching the right cat to the right home’ will include a home visit.
If you do not see any suitable cats on our website, please give us a call as we often have cats who have not been placed on the website yet and who could be perfect for you.
We would love to hear from you.