Adopt a cat
Welcome to Colne Valley Cats Protection (ESSEX)
A guide to our new hands free homing process
We are keen to help as many cats as possible, both during the current crisis and beyond. Offering our cats a home will help to free up space to take in emergency cases.
We have put in extensive procedures to ensure that our homing process is in line with current government guidance, without putting adoptees or our volunteers at risk.
• Check you are within a reasonable distance of your chosen branch. You can find your nearest branch by typing in your postcode at www.cats.org.uk/find-us
• Enquire - if you've found a cat on the website that you're interested in homing, send an enquiry through using our form or email email@example.com and include your name, address and contact number
• Reserve your cat - if you're found to be a match for your chosen cat, you'll be contacted via phone or email. You may be asked for proof of your address and the consent of your landlord (if you live in a rented property)
• Adopt - once you've reserved your cat, you'll be sent paperwork to sign and you'll make a further telephone appointment with our team. In this call, you'll have a chance to discuss everything you need to know about your cat. You'll then pay an adoption fee, usually by bank transfer.
• Bringing your cat home - once this is finalised, we'll arrange for a driver to bring your cat safely to your home.
• Be supported - you'll receive a follow up call or email around 3, 7 and 21 days after the adoption to check that your new arrival is settled in. You can also find help and advice on the Cats Protection website at www.cats.org.uk/advice
(We do not charge for cats to come into our care, but we are grateful for a donation towards the costs of having your cat in our care.)
We charge £70 for all our cats and £80 for kittens under the age of 6 months. However, you can Adopt with Confidence as all our cats are:
- Vet checked
- Vaccinated against Flu, Enteritis and FeLV
- Defleaed and dewormed
- Neutered (if old enough at the time of adoption) The combined costs of all the above amounts to around £200 per cat. We also give 4 weeks FREE Petplan insurance.
Our cats are being fostered in individual private homes, we do not have a central adoption shelter. We therefore do home visits before potential adoptees view our cats. This makes sure that people visit a cat (or cats) that is (are) suitable for the home they are offering. Many thanks.