Adopt a cat
A guide to our current homing process at Gildersome Homing Centre
We’re passionate about finding loving, lasting homes for the cats in our care. During the process of adopting a cat from Gildersome, we’ll consider everything from your potential pet’s personality and how this fits with your lifestyle, to your home environment – creating the perfect match for both cat and owner and the start of a wonderful feline friendship.
During lockdown, we introduced hands-free homing, which has been successful in finding many of our cats and kittens brilliant new owners. We’re continuing to rehome our cats virtually, however are now also offering visits in Gildersome by appointment, so you have the opportunity to meet your moggy match. If you are interested in any of the cats available for adoption from Gildersome, please enquire via their listing below or call us on: 03000121505. You can find out more about rehoming and why to adopt from Cats Protection here.
Please note: to meet any of the cats at Gildersome, you must have a pre-booked appointment with us.
We have put in extensive procedures to make sure that our homing process is in line with current government guidance, without putting adoptees or our employees at risk.
Our hands-free homing process
- Check you are within a reasonable distance of our centre. You can find your nearest centre by typing in your postcode at www.cats.org.uk/find-us
- Enquire. If you’ve found a cat on our website that you’re interested in homing, send an enquiry through using our form
- Reserve your cat. If you’re found to be a match for your chosen cat, you’ll be contacted by our team via phone or email. You will be asked for proof of your address and the consent of your landlord (if you live in a rented property)
- Adopt. Once you have reserved your cat, you’ll be sent paperwork to sign and you’ll make a further telephone appointment with our team. In this call, you’ll have a chance to discuss everything you need to know about your cat. You’ll then pay an adoption fee of £95, usually by card payment over the phone
- Bringing your cat home. Once this is finalised, we’ll arrange for a convenient time to safely collect your cat.
- Be supported. You’ll receive a follow-up call or email around three, seven and 21 days after the adoption to check that your new arrival is settled in. You can also find help and advice on the Cats Protection website at www.cats.org.uk/advice
The Adoption fee is £95 per cat or kitten
Every cat and kitten in our care will be..
- Vaccinated and come with a vaccination record card
- Microchipped – we transfer the details for you
- Neutered – Kittens under 12 weeks will come with a neutering voucher to cover the cost
- Covered by 4 Weeks free pet insurance
- Protected from fleas & worms until their top-up date
- Be vet checked and information given for any medical conditions
- You will receive a Welcome Home pack that contains lots of useful information on settling your cat in.
If you are wanting to adopt a kitten, then some of our kittens have to be rehomed in pairs. This will depend on each litter of kittens and their circumstances. Kittens need 3 feeds per day usually including a lunch time feed so you will need to ensure you are not out for any longer than 4 hours per day or that you have someone who can call in to feed them and give them some attention.
To see all of our cats and kittens currently looking for their new homes please visit https://www.cats.org.uk/gildersome/adopt-a-cat
We look forward to seeing you soon...