Due to the developing situation with COVID-19 we are taking some extra precautions at this time to try and ensure that we keep our staff, volunteers and customers safe.
The centre is currently closed to visitors and we are unable to take on new volunteers at present. As this situation is a rapidly changing one we will keep you updated with any changes as they occur, thank you for your patience at this time.
The valuable work we do for cats across the UK is only made possible through the efforts of volunteers who willingly give up their time and expertise to make a positive difference to cats’ lives.
At our centre we are fortunate to have a wonderfully diverse team of enthusiastic volunteers who help us to provide day-to-day care for all of our cats.Our volunteer team is made up of:
- Cat Care Volunteers: who assist with all aspects of animal husbandry, as well as helping to maintain the clean and safe environment of our cattery.
- Cat Fosterers – who provide daily care for cats in their own homes, providing a temporary residence until the cats are ready to find their forever homes.
- Transport Volunteers – who get our cats from A to B in our ‘cat taxi’, helping to bring new cats to the centre every week for rehoming.
- Publicity Volunteers – our team of publicity specialists who develop brilliant content for our online platforms.
- Induction Support Volunteers – who support our team with volunteer recruitment and administration.
- Work Experience Placements – students on fixed term placements who work with us to gain experience and skills to support their studies.
If you are interested in volunteering in another area you can find out more about other volunteer positions with Cats Protection across the whole of the UK here.
All current volunteer vacancies at the Mitcham Homing Centre are listed below. If you cannot see any positions below for the role you are interested in, we are not currently recruiting new volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering in North London, please visit the North London Adoption Centre site here.
Please bear with us if you don't hear back regarding a particular role straight away, as we have a lot of interest in volunteering roles. We aim to respond to all messages within a month.
Kitten hand-rearing volunteer
Across the UK, we have volunteers helping to hand-rear kittens who have either lost their mother, been abandoned, or their mum is just too sick to look after them.
This is a very hands-on role providing every aspect of care a kitten needs; including hand-feeding approx. every two hours day and night, medicating, socialising, toileting and weaning on to solid food. You will be providing excellent care and a great start in life for kittens who will then go on to be re-homed by our adoption centre. We will be with you every step of the way providing training, information, equipment and support.
So if you have experience in handling kittens or have a veterinary nursing or animal welfare background then this extremely rewarding role may be for you!
Closing date: 04 Mar 2021