What we do
From humble beginnings in 1927, Cats Protection has grown to become the UK's leading feline welfare charity. We help around 200,000 cats and kittens every year through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 36 centres.
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. Our vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs.
It’s an ambitious vision. However, we truly believe it can be achieved because of our passion, our professional approach and simply because cats are among the UK’s most popular companion pets.
Cats Protection has simple and clear objectives to help cats:
Homing - Finding good homes for cats in need
Neutering - Supporting and encouraging the neutering of cats
Information - Improving people’s understanding of cats and their care
- Cats and their welfare are at the centre of everything we do
- We never put a healthy cat to sleep
- We value and respect our volunteers, supporters and staff
- We are committed to providing a high quality service
- We are open and honest
In the longer term
Our work will ensure that there will be fewer cats needing our help.
This is how we will help more cats:
- We will significantly increase awareness of Cats Protection and our work
- As the leading authority on cats we will help people better understand their needs in order to improve the welfare of all cats
- We will help to reduce overpopulation of cats:
- through targeted neutering campaigns and education
- by directing more resources to the promotion of early neutering
- by doing more research and gathering better data on the impact of our neutering work
- We will home more cats until our work on information, education and neutering reduces the long-term need for homing.
Helping us to get there
- We will significantly grow income and manage our funds to enable us to help more cats, now and in the future
- We will speak up for cats and represent their interests
- We will increase the extent and effectiveness of our collaboration with animal welfare charities and other organisations, for the benefit of cats