DIY cat bed – How to make a cosy bed for your cat
A guest post from Sonia Scowcroft, Cats Protection’s North West Dual Adoption Centre Manager
Cats spend a lot of their time sleeping (around 16 hours a day!) and like to sleep in a variety of safe, quiet, clean and dry places. It’s good to give them a choice – you could buy a cat bed, but they’ll likely be just as happy with a DIY cat bed too – either one you make yourself, or even just a cardboard box with soft and cosy blankets or towels inside. Cats often prefer warm places and even rotate to follow the position of the sun!
If you're feeling particularly crafty and have a wardrobe full of old jumpers that simply don’t fit anymore, why not make a DIY cat bed? Here’s how to transform an old knitted sweater into a favourite cat-nap palace for your feline.
How to make a DIY cat bed from an old jumper
1. Gather all the materials you will need to make the bed: jumper, filling (wadding or foam pieces) scissors, safety pin, wool/cotton thread and darning needle
2. Securely stitch along the collar
3. Fold over the end of the sleeves and secure with a safety pin, then stuff the sleeves with your chosen filling
4. Tuck the right sleeve into the left sleeve and securely stitch
5. Fold the side of the jumper in on itself as per picture
6. Securely stitch along the bottom of the sleeves
7. Your bed is now complete so just add cat!
If your cat is one with a propensity to chew wool, then this jumper bed is probably not suitable for them. Also, as with all fabric beds, check it regularly for damage, to ensure there is no risk of entrapment.
This article was first published in our amazing magazine, The Cat, where you can find lots of cat tales, news and expert advice about to make your cat is healthy and happy. And best of all, by subscribing, you’ll also be helping Cats Protection to care for unwanted cats and kittens.