Read the terms and conditions before entering your cat for the National Cat Awards
These Terms and Conditions prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials. Entry instructions are deemed to form part of the Terms and Conditions and all participants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Please retain a copy for your information.
Promoter: Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath RH17 7TT
- All cats entered into the competition must be alive and living in the UK.
- All owners (entrants) and cats entered into the competition must be available for photography and filming between the time of entry and the point of judging.
- All entrants will be asked if they are comfortable with their story appearing in the media (e.g. newspapers, magazines, radio, and/or TV).
- The competition is only open to residents of UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland only). It is not open to Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland residents.
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over and the competition excludes employees, volunteers and their immediate families of the Promoter, its agents or anyone else professionally connected to the promotion.
- If a story for a specific category relates to a specific event, this must have happened since 1 January 2020.
- Online entry only, internet access required.
- No purchase necessary to enter. Only one entry per household. Maximum of one prize per person and cat. Entries (bulk or otherwise) made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. No entries from agents, third parties, organised groups, syndicates or applications automatically generated by computer will be accepted. No incomplete, illegible, defaced, invalid, corrupted entries or entries from multiple accounts will be included in the judging. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of delivery. The Promoter takes no responsibility for entries delayed, incomplete or lost due to technical reasons or otherwise. In the event of this clause being breached, the entrant will be disqualified and any prize awarded will be void. Any malicious or manipulative attempt to influence the prize awards will result in disqualification at the sole discretion of the Promoter. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these Terms and Conditions or incorrect, illegible, fraudulent or other invalid or improper information has been provided, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, refuse to fulfil the prizes.
- Competition is open to entries between 10am 10th January 2023 and noon on 24th February 2023 (the Competition Entry Period). All entries received outside the Promotional Period will not be accepted.
- To enter the competition, participants must visit cats.org.uk/nca and fill out the online entry form providing their full name, email address, phone number, a photo of their cat, select entry category and provide a 200 word max reason for their choice of cat. For the social star category, we will also ask for the cat’s social media profile URL.
- Entrants must choose which one of the following four categories they wish to enter:
- Cat Colleagues – cats who bring joy to the workplace or make working from home a pleasure
- Family Fur-ever – tales of cats who make a family complete
- Moggy Marvels – cats who’ve done something extraordinary
- The same entry cannot be submitted twice, either by the original entrant or by another person, and neither the cat, not their owner can have been shortlisted as a finalist in this competition in any previous Cat Protection Award competitions.
- All entries must be original and no more than 200 words. Entries must be about the entrant’s own domestic cat and cannot:
- Be violent, negative or/and discriminative of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, or be profane or obscene;
- Promote or be about the use of illegal drugs, tobacco, any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message;
- Be offensive or be about hate;
- Defame, misrepresent or contain negative remarks about the Promoter or its products, other people, products or companies;
- Contain mention of trademarks or copyrighted material owned by others or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without permission, or contain any personal identification, such as licence plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses;
- Contain copyrighted materials owned by others without permission;
- Contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, other than the participant, without permission;
- Communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which the Promoter wishes to associate or contains any images of children;
- Depict, and cannot itself be in, violation of any law;
- Show any cat in a harmful situation whether demonstrating signs of anger, hostility or discomfort, or be about a cat living in unsuitable conditions that are therefore not in line with our welfare guidelines.
Any inappropriate or offensive material may be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Except for the Social Star category,
- By participating in the promotion, the entrants license grant the promoter a, royalty free, , worldwide, irrevocable and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish and display the submitted content for the purpose of this and future Cats Protection’s National Cat Awards competitions, in any media, without compensation, restriction on use, attribution or liability. Entrants agree not to assert any moral rights in relation to such use where the moral rights in respect of the content are theirs to assert.
Winner Selection and Notification:
- All entries will first be verified for eligibility and any ineligible entries will be discarded. The shortlisting panel, which will include at least one independent judge, will then review eligible entries based on their creativity and originality in conveying the category as outlined in Clause 10. The entire finalist shortlisting process will take place between 6th March 2023 and 9th March 2023. Three finalists for each category (together with a number of reserves in case of finalists not wishing to proceed) will be selected by the shortlisting panel. All finalists will be contacted by phone and/or the email address they have provided on their original entry by 10 March 2023 to notify them of their shortlisting and confirm their acceptance. Entrants are encouraged to monitor their connections during this time. Winners will be determined, from the final shortlist, by a public vote, as outlined in Clause 18
- If a finalist:
- Does not respond by phone or email within 7 calendar days to the first notification that they are a category finalist, or
- Does not accept their invitation to the Cats Protection’s Awards where the winners will be announced, or
- Does not wish to be part of a public vote, or
- Rejects their shortlisting, or
- Is otherwise ineligible
the Promoter reserves the right to withdraw their entry and shortlist another finalist based on the next highest rated category entry. The process will repeat until an eligible entrant is able to confirm their shortlisting and provide the requested details.
Photography and filming of each finalist will take place between mid-March and mid-June. Finalists will be contacted mid-March to agree a time and date for photography and filming (to take place at cat’s home address and potentially locations featured in their story).
- After the completion of the public vote, all four category winners will then be reviewed by a panel of National Cat Awards independent judges to determine one overall ‘National Cat of the Year’. The overall winner judging will take place on 5th July 2023.
- The four category winners and the overall ‘National Cat of the Year’ will be announced at Cats Protection’s Awards at Wilton’s Music Hall, London on 17 July 2023. All category finalists and one guest will be invited to attend the Awards ceremony. The invitation to attend will include canapes, bowl food, and drinks for two people. Travel, accommodation and any other expenses incurred will be the responsibility of the finalists. Finalists must be 18 or over but may bring a minor as their guest with parent or guardian permission. Any winner who is unable to attend will be notified of their win by email within 48 hours of the awards ceremony. Entrants are encouraged to monitor their email account during this time in case they are a winner.
- If any element of this promotion is delayed or affected due to the continuing Covid-19 pandemic and resulting Government restrictions, any affected entrants will be contacted by the Promoter and kept updated of any unavoidable changes to the competition, awards event or prize.
- The four category winners will each win a prize package consisting of a trophy, a £200 pet store voucher and a year’s subscription to Cats Protection’s The Cat The terms and conditions of the pet store voucher will be provided after winner confirmation. The winner of Cat of the Year will also receive an additional overall winning trophy. If winners are unable to attend the event then the prize package will be posted to their address via Royal Mail signed for delivery within 28 days of being notified of their win.
- No cash or other alternative prize will be provided in whole or in part, except that in the event of circumstances outside of its control the promoter reserves the right to substitute a similar prize, or part of the prize, of equal or greater value.
- The Promoter reserves the right to change the date and/or venue of the awards ceremony in the event of circumstances beyond its control. There is no alternative in part or whole, or in cash or otherwise if the finalist and their guest are unable to attend the awards ceremony.
- The Promoter reserves the right to move entries to an alternative category to the one entered if this is considered more appropriate based on the category descriptions.
- It is the responsibility of the entrant to provide correct, up-to-date details when entering the promotion and on shortlisting notification. The Promoter cannot be held responsible for entrants failing to supply accurate information which affects their entry
- Limitations of Liability:
The Promoter, its agents or anyone professionally connected to the promotion, cannot assume: any responsibility or liability for:
- Any incorrect or inaccurate personal data entry, or for any faulty or failed electronic data transmissions.
- Communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regards to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilised in any aspect of this promotion.
- Inaccessibility or unavailability of the internet.
Regretfully, the Promoter cannot be held liable for system failures with access to the promotional site.
- The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this promotion or accepting or using the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (including personal injury, death and fraud) in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law.
- Conduct of Entry:
i) The Promoter reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify and remove any entries that do not comply with these Terms and Conditions.
ii) All entries must be the entrant’s own original work and must not infringe the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any third party. Any entry found to infringe the rights of any third party or found to be copied, or the work of someone else, will be disqualified.
- Prize winners agree to execute any further such paperwork as may be necessary to give full effect to these Terms and Conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to verify all entries and the winners including but not limited to asking for proof of address, proof of cat ownership, and ID (passport, driving licence or equivalent) which they must provide within 7 days and to refuse to award a prize or withdraw prize entitlement and/or refuse further participation in the promotion and disqualify the participant where there are reasonable grounds to believe there has been a breach of these Terms and Conditions or any instructions forming part of this promotion’s entry requirements or otherwise where a participant has gained unfair advantage in participating in the promotion or won using fraudulent means. The Promoter will be the final arbiter in any decisions and these will be binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The finalists and winners will be requested to participate in related publicity with no further recompense.
- For the surnames and counties of residence of the category winners and the ‘National Cat of the Year’ winner, email email@example.com within 3 months of the awards event date (17 July 2023). Entrants can object to disclosure, or request that disclosure be limited in scope by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We may nevertheless disclose the information to the Advertising Standards Authority if required to do so.
- Any question concerning the legal interpretation of the rules will be based on English law and the Courts of England and Wales will have jurisdiction, unless you live in another part of the UK, in which case your local courts will have jurisdiction.
- If any of these clauses should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable then it shall be severed and deleted from these Terms and Conditions and the remaining clauses shall survive and remain in full force and effect.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and binding in all promotional matters and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If for any reason any aspect of this promotion is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, traffic congestion, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other cause beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter may in its sole discretion modify or suspend the promotion or invalidate any affected entries. If an act, omission, event or circumstance occurs which is beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter and which prevents the Promoter from complying with these Terms and Conditions, the Promoter will not be liable for any failure to perform or delay in performing its obligation but will always endeavour to minimise the effect to participants in order to avoid undue disappointment.
- Unsuccessful entrants’ details will be held for three months after the close of the promotion before deletion. Shortlisted entrants’ details will be held for three months after the awards event date () and will not be held beyond this or transferred to any third party without the consent of the entrant.
- Social star
We’re celebrating the undisputed legends of the internet – cats! From TikTok stars to viral sensations, we’re on the lookout for Britain’s most fame-hungry felines spreading joy across the online world. Whether they’re part of an educational YouTube channel or just a downright mischievous moggy – let us know about your social ‘sleb.