Cats must be alive, and available for filming and living in the UK. Owners must be UK residents and 18 or over. If the story relates to a specific event, this must have happened since 1 January 2017. Entries open 14th January 2020, close noon 12th March 2020. No purchase required. One entry per household. How to enter: visit www.cats.org.uk/nca and fill out the online entry form. The finalists and winners agree to participate in related publicity with no further recompense. Prize for five category winners: trophy, £100 pet store voucher, a year’s subscription to Cats Protection’s The Cat magazine and a three months’ supply of PURINA® cat food for one cat. Finalists will be invited to the Cats Protection’s Awards lunch at The Savoy, London on Thursday 5 August 2021, where the winners will be announced (event was postponed from 6th August 2020 due to coronavirus). Travel excluded.
These Terms and Conditions prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials. Entry and claim instructions are deemed to form part of the terms and conditions and all participants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. Please retain a copy for your information.
Promoter: Cats Protection, National Cat Centre, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath RH17 7TT
1. All cats entered into the competition must be alive and living in the UK.
2. All cats entered into the competition must be available for filming between the time of entry and the point of judging.
3. The competition is only open to residents of UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland only). It is not open to Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland residents.
4. Entrants must be aged 18 or over and the competition excludes employees, volunteers and their immediate families of the Promoter, its agents or anyone else professionally connected to the promotion.
5. If the story relates to a specific event, this must have happened since 1 January 2017.
6. Entrants will be required to provide their full name, address, email address, phone number and a photo of their cat in order to enter. Online entry only. Any incomplete, illegible or defaced entries will be deemed void and not included in the judging.
7. No purchase necessary to enter. Only one entry per household. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted. No entries from agents, third parties, organised groups, syndicates or applications automatically generated by computer will be accepted. No incomplete, invalid, late, corrupted entries or entries from multiple accounts will be accepted. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of delivery The Promoter takes no responsibility for entries delayed, incomplete or lost due to technical reasons or otherwise. In the event of this clause being breached, the entrant will be disqualified and any prize awarded will be void. Any malicious or manipulative attempt to influence the prize will result in disqualification at the sole discretion of the Promoter. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these Terms and Conditions or incorrect, illegible, fraudulent or other invalid or improper information has been provided, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, refuse to fulfil the prizes.
8. Competition is open to entries between 14.01.2020 and noon on 12.03.2020 (the Competition Entry Period).
9. Entrants must choose which of the following five categories they wish to enter:
• Hero Cat - Cats that save the day
• Most Caring Cat - Cats that have a positive impact on an owner’s health or wellbeing
• Furr-ever Friends – Tales of friendship between children and cats
• Outstanding Rescue Cat – Fabulous felines adopted from animal welfare organisations
• PURINA® Better Together - Celebrating the special bond that has transformed and enriched the lives of both a feline and human
Click here to view the full Judging Criteria for each category
10. The same entry cannot be submitted twice, either by the original entrant or by another person, and neither the cat, not their owner can have been shortlisted as a finalist in this competition in previous years.
11. All entries must be original and no more than 200 words. Entries must be about the entrant’s own domestic cat and cannot:
• Be violent, negative or/and discriminative of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, or be profane or obscene;
• Promote or be about the use of illegal drugs, tobacco, any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message;
• Be offensive or be about hate;
• Defame, misrepresent or contain negative remarks about the Promoter or its products, other people, products or companies;
• Contain mention of trademarks owned by others or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without permission, or contain any personal identification, such as licence plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses;
• Contain copyrighted materials owned by others without permission;
• Contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, other than the participant, without permission;
• Communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which the Promoter wishes to associate;
• Depict, and cannot itself be in, violation of any law;
• Show any cat in a harmful situation whether demonstrating signs of anger, hostility or discomfort, or be about a cat living in unsuitable conditions that are therefore not in line with our welfare guidelines.
Any inappropriate or offensive material may be reported to the appropriate authorities.
12. Entrants who make an entry on someone else’s behalf will be disqualified, at the Promoter’s discretion.
13. By participating in the promotion the entrants licence and grant the promoter an exclusive, royalty free, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish and display such content for any purpose in any media, without compensation, restriction on use, attribution or liability. Participants agree not to assert any moral rights in relation to such use where the moral rights in respect of the content are theirs to assert. Participants warrant that the materials contain no copyright materials, are their original works, have not been copied, in whole or in part, from any third party and they have full authority to grant these rights.
Winner Selection and Notification:
14. The shortlisting panel, which will include at least one independent judge, will review entries based on their creativity and originality in conveying the category as outlined in Clause 9. The three finalists for each category will be selected by the shortlisting panel. One category winner will be selected from each category’s finalists by celebrity judges, based on their creativity and originality in conveying the category as outlined in Clause 9, except for the winner of the PURINA® Better Together Award which will be selected by public vote (see Clause 16). The finalist shortlisting will take place between 12.03.20 and 01.04.20 during which the winner will be chosen. All finalists will be contacted using the details given in their original entry by 08.04.20. Entrants are encouraged to monitor their connections during this time. In the event of a finalist not responding within 7 calendar days to the notification that they are a category finalist, the Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the entitlement and award it to the next best entry.
15. All five category winners will then be reviewed by a panel of past National Cat Awards celebrity judges to determine one overall ‘National Cat of the Year’. The overall winner judging will take place between 01.07.20 and 15.07.20.
16. Voting: Finalists in the PURINA® Better Together category will be put to a public vote on our website www.cats.org.uk. Members of the public will be invited to vote for their favourite Finalist between 12.06.20 and 15.06.20 ("Voting Period”). Finalists are prohibited from directly or indirectly seeking any services to obtain votes and must not purchase or reward votes in any way. Any abuse of the voting system, including vote-rigging or any kind of vote farming and automated votes, will result in disqualification of the entry. Voting will be strictly monitored by the Promoter and any attempts to manipulate or otherwise unfairly influence the results will result in disqualification of entry/votes. Votes will determine the category winner and this decision will be final and absolute.
17. The five category winners and the overall ‘National Cat of the Year’ will be announced at Cats Protection’s Awards lunch at The Savoy, London on 5 August 2021 (event was postponed from 6.8.20 due to coronavirus). All category finalists will be invited to attend the Awards ceremony. The invitation to attend will include a two course lunchtime meal with drinks for two people. Travel, accommodation and any other expenses incurred will be the responsibility of the finalists. Finalists must be 18 or over, but may bring a minor as their guest.
18. The five category winners will each win a prize package consisting of a trophy, a £100 pet store voucher, a year’s subscription to Cats Protection’s The Cat magazine and a three (3) months’ supply of PURINA® cat food for one cat. The three months’ supply may vary depending on the size and age of the cat and will be based on PURINA® feeding guidelines.
19. No cash or other alternative prize will be provided in whole or in part, except that in the event of circumstances outside of its control the promoter reserves the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value.
20. The Promoter reserves the right to change the date and/or venue of the awards ceremony in the event of circumstances beyond its control. There is no alternative in part or whole, or in cash or otherwise if the finalist and their guest are unable to attend the awards ceremony.
21. The promoter reserves the right to move entries to an alternative category to the one entered if this is considered more appropriate based on the category descriptions.
22. Limitations of Liability:
The Promoter, its agents or anyone professionally connected to the promotion, cannot assume: any responsibility or liability for:
- Any incorrect or inaccurate personal data entry, or for any faulty or failed electronic data transmissions.
- Communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regards to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilised in any aspect of this promotion.
- Inaccessibility or unavailability of the internet.
Regretfully, the Promoter cannot be held liable for system failures with access to the promotional site.
23. The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this promotion or accepting or using the prize/gift, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (including personal injury, death and fraud) in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law.
24. Conduct of Entry:
i) Entrants of the competition agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. The Promoter reserves the right to suspend / terminate or extend any offer at any time if it has reasonable grounds for doing so, which may include without limitation an offer being subject to, or affected by, any denial-of service (DOS) attacks, bugs, viruses or any other technologically harmful material or act of hacking by a third party, or in the event of any wilful attempt to breach these terms and conditions.
ii) The Promoter reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify and remove any entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions.
iii) All entries must be the entrant’s own original work and must not infringe the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any third party. Any entry found to infringe the rights of any third party or found to be copied, or the work of someone else, will be disqualified.
25. Prize winners agree to execute any further such paperwork as may be necessary to give full effect to these Terms and Conditions.
26. The Promoter reserves the right to verify all entries and the winners including but not limited to asking for address and proof of ID (which they must provide within 14 days) and to refuse to award a prize or withdraw prize entitlement and/or refuse further participation in the promotion and disqualify the participant where there are reasonable grounds to believe there has been a breach of these terms and conditions or any instructions forming part of this promotion’s entry requirements or otherwise where a participant has gained unfair advantage in participating in the promotion or won using fraudulent means. The Promoter will be the final arbiter in any decisions and these will be binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
27. The finalists and winners agree to participate in related publicity with no further recompense.
28. For the surnames and counties of the winners, email email@example.com within 3 months of the awards event date (5 August 2021). Entrants can object to disclosure, or request that disclosure be limited in scope by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We may nevertheless disclose the information to the Advertising Standards Authority if required to do so. You may request a copy of the winner’s list by emailing email@example.com. We reserve the right to refuse any or all such requests.
29. Any question concerning the legal interpretation of the rules will be based on English law and the Courts of England and Wales will have jurisdiction, unless you live in another part of the UK, in which case your local courts will have jurisdiction.
30. If any of these clauses should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable then it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and conditions and the remaining clauses shall survive and remain in full force and effect.
31. The Promoter’s decision is final and binding in all promotional matters.
32. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel, amend, terminate or temporarily suspend this promotion in the event of any unforeseen circumstances outside its reasonable control, with no liability to any entrants or third parties but will always endeavour to minimize the effect to participants in order to avoid undue disappointment.
34. Entrant’s details will only be held for as long as is necessary to administer this promotion/send the prizes and will not be held beyond this or transferred to any third party without the consent of the entrant.