I've Lost my Cat
IF YOU HAVE LOST YOUR CAT
If your cat has gone missing please contact us with your cats details so we can check against reported found cats and add to our Lost & Found register. We can also share details of your cat on our Facebook page and add a photo free of charge. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with a picture and detailed description of your cat including where and when it was last seen, the cats age, any distinctive markings, if the cat is neutered, micro-chipped or wearing a collar. If you are not on email you can call 01480 476696 (9am - 6pm, Monday to Friday). We would kindly ask that unless it is an emergency or you are concerned about the health and welfare of your cat, that you leave it 48 hours before reporting a cat missing to us as we find most return home within this time.
Cats Protection have also produced a helpful download with advice and information which can be found here.
What you should do:
- Thoroughly check every room in your house, including your loft, looking in wardrobes and cupboards, under furniture and any other space they might be hiding. Cats can crawl into the smallest spaces so check in even the most unlikely of places.
- Check sheds and garages or any outbuildings and also any containers outside (bins/water butts)
- Speak to your neighbours and ask them to check their houses/gardens/garages as well. Knock on all the doors in your street and even streets adjacent to yours. What might seem like a long distance to us, might be a hop over a few fences to a cat.
- If your cat is micro-chipped, please call your micro-chipping company to check your contact details are registered and up to date. If they are not, the organisation who has found your cat will not be able to contact you.
If you have still not found your cat you can:
- Leaflet local houses (including neighbours you've spoken to) with a detailed description and preferably a colour photo of your cat. Ask people to check their sheds and garages.
- Produce a poster and put up in your area, preferably with a colour photo of your cat. You could put it up in your local shop/post office/schools or anywhere lots of people will see it.
- Contact local vets, animal charities, the council and lost & found agencies to see if your cat has been found or to place details on a lost & found register (contact details can be found below)
- Share a picture of your cat on social media sites such as Facebook. There are local pages or groups for most towns and villages in the area. We can also share a picture of your missing cat on our Facebook page.
- Advertise in your local paper – this is a great way to let lots of people know your cat is missing. If you have insurance, check to see if the policy covers your cat going missing as many of them do.
- Offer a reward but don’t disclose how much. This will encourage people to look for your cat.
- Persevere – people may quickly forget your cat is missing – refresh leaflets, posters and adverts.
- If your cat doesn’t know the area, hang something outside (a washing line is a good place) with their scent (their cat bed) or your scent on (item of worn clothing) so they can use the smell to navigate their way home. Alternatively you can place their litter tray outside which will have their scent on it too. Even the most confident and friendly cats can become quite nervous in an unknown environment and will usually only venture out after dark. They may not respond to you calling them, so leave out food at a set time to encourage them to come out. If you have seen your cat but can't catch it, we can off use the use of humane cat traps. Please call 01480 476696 for details.
Who to Contact in the St Neots, Huntingdon & St Ives Area and Details of Web Contacts
St Neots Vets
- Church House St Neots – 01480 472032
- Cromwell (White House) St Neots – 01480 216612
- Ouse Valley/Medivet (Formerly Done & Stevens St Neots / Cambridge Street) – 01480 210310
- Vets4Pets St Neots (Pets at Home) - 01480 270670
- Cromwell Huntingdon - 01480 52601
- Companion Care Huntingdon (Pets at Home) - 01480 270670
- Vet Savers Huntingdon (Huntingdon Garden & Leisure) - 01480 456615
St Ives Vets
- Cromwell St Ives - 01480 300389
- Ouse Valley/Medivet St Ives - 01480 463170
- Ouse Valley/Medivet (Formerly Done & Stevens) Brampton – 01480 433566
- Best Friends Veterinary Group Sawtry - 01487 830595
- Cromwell Sawtry - 01480 800199
- Cromwell Cambourne - 01954 715161
Other Organsations/Websites to Contact