Fabulous felines go paw to paw to become the UK's top cat
14 June 2016
Cats Protection has today revealed 15 fabulous finalists for this year’s National Cat Awards, which celebrate the extraordinary tales of survival, companionship and bravery in the cat world.
The special cats, including one that saved a family from a house fire and another that helped his owner overcome an alcohol addiction, have been announced across five categories - Hero Cat, Most Caring Cat, Furr-ever Friends, Outstanding Rescue Cat and PURINA® Better Together.
Sponsored by Purina®, this is the eighth time the competition has been held and the feline welfare charity will be looking to crown its National Cat of the Year, following in the paw prints of previous winner Nelson, a one-eyed former stray from County Durham.
- Tink – from Shrewsbury who raised the alarm, saving a family from a house fire
- Skye – from Daventry who has helped her owner overcome severe, crippling panic attacks and agoraphobia
- Jessie – from Peterborough who provided comfort to her owners when they suddenly lost their 18-year-old daughter from a cardiac arrest
- Frank – from Romney Marsh who helped his owner to cope and overcome his alcohol addiction after he was discharged from a rehabilitation unit
- Prince Smokey – from Lichfield who alerted his owner to a stenosis in the left artery of her heart
Cats Protection’s awards organiser Kate Bunting said: “We had a record number of nominations this year and it was really hard to choose our finalists as there were so many touching stories. A quarter of the entries were from people coping with a mental health issue so this really emphasises the role cats can play for people with conditions such as depression and anxiety.”
The owners will find out if their cat is a winner at a star-studded award ceremony on Thursday, August 4 at The Savoy in London, kindly funded by Purina® and hosted by the 'Voice of the Balls' on BBC1’s National Lottery TV programmes, Alan Dedicoat.
Celebrity judges, including actress Anita Dobson and broadcaster John Stapleton, will present the awards and pay tribute to the nation’s top cats.
A spokesperson from Purina® said: “We are delighted to celebrate our longstanding support of Cats Protection and the amazing work it does by once again sponsoring its National Cat Awards.
“We believe that people and pets are better together and that, when they bond, life becomes richer. The awards are a great platform for cat owners across the UK to share inspirational stories of how that special bond with their pets has improved their lives. We wish all the finalists the best of luck and look forward to congratulating the winners on the day.”
Each winner will receive a trophy, a pet-store voucher, a year’s subscription to Cats Protection’s The Cat magazine and a three-month supply of Purina® cat food.
- Ends -
For further information, photos or an interview, please contact Cats Protection’s Media Office on 01825 741 911, at firstname.lastname@example.org or @CPMediaTeam on Twitter.
Notes to Editors:
- Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and helps around 200,000 cats and kittens each year through a national network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 32 centres.
- Cats Protection’s vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs.
- Cats Protection’s registered charity number is 203644 (England and Wales) and SC037711 (Scotland).
- Founded as the Cats Protection League in 1927, the charity adopted the name Cats Protection in 1998. We ask that you use the name Cats Protection when referring to the charity in all published material.
- More information about the work of Cats Protection can be found at www.cats.org.ukPURINA® is committed to helping pets live longer, happier and healthier lives through proper nutrition and care.
- For over 85 years, Purina® has been one of the pioneers in providing safe, palatable and nutritious products made to the highest standards of quality and safety. The Purina brand portfolio includes many of the UK’s best known and best-loved pet foods including Felix®, Bakers®, Purina ONE ®, Bonio®, Gourmet®, Go-Cat®, Pro Plan®, Beta®, Purina Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets® and Winalot®. For more information visit www.purina.co.uk or follow on Twitter @PurinaUK