Who will be the UK's next Cat of the Year?
11 June 2018
Who will be the UK’s next Cat of the Year?
Cats Protection has revealed the 14 finalists in this year’s National Cat Awards, the UK’s annual celebration of heroism, survival and companionship in the cat world.
From fearless felines that saved the day to miraculous moggies who provide a lifeline in medical emergencies, the finalists are all in the running to be named National Cat of the Year 2018.
This year’s top cat will follow in the pawprints of previous winner Genie, a caring puss from Lincoln who helped schoolgirl Evie Henderson battle bone cancer.
The finalists in this year’s Awards include:
Sox, the hospital cat who provides companionship and motivation for patients with serious brain injuries.
Quick-thinking Prince Ozzy, who raised the alarm when a fire broke out in a neighbouring flat.
Deaf church cat Florence who inspires a whole community with her mischievous antics and caring nature.
Fun-loving Honey, who is helping two young brothers cope with the sudden death of their dad.
Arthur, the playful puss who’s helping his owner live an independent life following years of specialist hospital care for serious mental health issues.
Caring Toby, who alerts his owner when she’s about to suffer a seizure brought on by a neurological condition.
The owners now face a nail-biting wait until Thursday 2 August when winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at London’s Savoy, an event attended by celebrities including BBC broadcaster Andrew Collins, model Lucy Pinder and Holby City actress Chizzy Akudolu.
Awards organiser Kate Bunting said: “Cats make wonderful pets and these Awards is all about celebrating everything we love about them. Each and every entry we received reflected the many qualities that have earned cats a special place in our hearts and homes – intuitive, funny, caring and loyal.”
Winners will be selected in five categories – Hero Cat, Most Caring Cat, Furr-ever Friends, Outstanding Rescue Cat and Purina® Better Together - before one is crowned the National Cat of the Year 2018.
Each category winner will receive a trophy, a £100 pet store voucher, a year’s subscription to Cats Protection’s The Cat magazine and a three months’ supply of Purina® cat food for their cat.
A Star Team category will also celebrate the achievements of dedicated volunteers from Cats Protection who have made a positive impact on feline welfare.
Claire Robinson-Davies, Head of Corporate Communications UK & Ireland at PURINA® said: "We're thrilled to once again support the National Cat Awards, which celebrates everything we love about our feline friends. From the heart-warming to the amusing, the strength of this year’s finalists really shows the incredible bond people have with their pets and the positive impact it can have on their lives. We hope this award inspires more people to welcome pets into their homes."
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and helps around 200,000 cats and kittens each year through its national network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 centres.
For further information, photographs or an interview, please contact Michaela at Adastra Media by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
1. Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity and helps over 200,000 cats each year through a national network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 centres.
2. Cats Protection’s vision is a world where every cat is treated with kindness and an understanding of its needs.
3. Cats Protection’s registered charity number is 203644 (England and Wales) and SC037711 (Scotland). Founded as the Cats Protection League in 1927, the charity adopted the name Cats Protection in 1998. We ask that you use the name Cats Protection when referring to the charity in all published material.
4. More information about the work of Cats Protection can be found at www.cats.org.uk
5. PURINA® is committed to helping pets live longer, happier and healthier lives through proper nutrition and care. For over 85 years, Purina® is a pioneer in providing safe, palatable and nutritious products made to the highest standards of quality and safety. The Purina brand portfolio includes many of the UK’s best known and best-loved pet foods including Felix®, Bakers®, Purina ONE ®, Bonio®, Gourmet®, Go-Cat®, Pro Plan®, Beta®, Purina Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets® and Winalot®. For more information visit www.purina.co.uk or follow on Twitter @PurinaUK
6. Purina has been a partner of Cats Protection for more than 30 years. In addition to being a nutritional partner, Purina helps to raise vital funds and awareness for Cats Protection and to dispel common misconceptions about rescue cats to encourage more people to consider cat adoption.